Friday, January 09, 2009

Passion in Paradise - Suzanne Brandyn



Please welcome my special guest this week, Suzanne Brandyn, whose debut book, Passion in Paradise, was released on Wednesday from The Wild Rose Press!

Suzanne Brandyn lives on the Mid-North Coast of NSW, Australia, where she enjoys the ocean and the country. It is here amidst the peace and quiet she dreams her stories and moulds her characters toward that Happily Ever After. In the warmer months of the year you will find her walking along the beach or sitting under the shade of a palm tree jotting down notes for her next story. Suzanne would like her readers to know that the Happy Ever After is not only reserved for children’s fairytales but also has a place in the life of an adult.

Suz, thanks for joining me today, and congratulations on Passion in Paradise already hitting the #1 spot on the novellas best selling list at TWRP!

Everyone who leaves a comment for Suz here will be entered into a draw to win a copy of Passion in Paradise!

Can you tell us a little about your debut book, ‘Passion in Paradise?’

Passion In Paradise’ was a manuscript I undertook in a National Novelist Writing Month. It was also listed as a finalist in the first round of the Emerald Competition with the Romance Writers of Australia. I withdrew it from the second round as it got accepted for publication.

Passion In Paradise is set at a luxurious resort on the Whitsunday Coast, the edge of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea and Sydney.

Wow, certainly sounds like a taste of Paradise! How did the idea for the plot come about?


I wanted to have two people stranded on an island as I love the tropics and islands. It eventuated from there. I did a great deal of diving off the Whitsunday coast many years ago, and fell in love with the area.


It had to have an aircraft in the story. Re-my husband is a private pilot. The heroine takes a scenic flight over the Great Barrier Reef not knowing the pilot, the love of her life, will be flying. They drift off course, a fire erupts in the cockpit and the hero makes an emergency landing over the Pacific Ocean, but he hits his head and is unconscious. The heroine rescues him by getting them both safely to a deserted island.

I love it when the heroine rescues the hero!! As you know, I also love sale stories! So can you tell us about your road to publication - and your call story?


Well my email story. It said they loved my story, the plot flows nicely and my characters are vivid and appealing, and the emotion is well drawn. Then it read they would like to contract it.
You can imagine the state I was in. I re-read that email repeatedly. The next day I continued to read it and I lost count. I was numbish, with a big grin on my face. I think it took a few days for it to sink in. It’s such a buzz to get an email like that in your inbox. It was in the hands of one editor and she liked it, but ended up in the hands of another. Oh boy, my thoughts were, “What if she doesn’t like it?” Just because one editor liked my story didn’t mean another would. Luckily she did.

I so empathise with the big grin!! We are all about the love here, so please share your fave books, movies, TV shows or current fantasy squeeze (it's all in the line of research!)

My favourite books well, I don’t really have any favourites. I have an assortment. Nora Roberts, Danielle Steele, Melissa James, Claire Baxter, Liz Fielding, Marion Thomas, Bronwyn Jamieson, the list is endless. I read a diversity of novels but Norah Roberts stories draw my attention.

Fantasy squeeze - Hugh Jackman. His looks, his smile and personality shines through his character roles.

Oh yeah, have to agree. What's not to love with our Hugh!! Can you tell us what you're working on now?

I have recently completed two category manuscripts. The first one is set in outback Australia, the second in Sydney.

How can readers keep up with your writing and books?

By taking a peek at my blog, website or visit The Wild Rose Press website.

Thank you Christina for having me. It’s been very enjoyable. I would also like to thank any visitors that pop by and leave a comment. Don’t forget you go into a draw a few weeks after this interview to win a Pdf copy of ‘Passion In Paradise'.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

great cover and interview

Linda Banche said...

Hi Suzanne, Sounds like a great read. Congratulations on your release.

Helen Hardt said...

This sounds wonderful, Suz. I love stories set at resorts! And Hugh Jackman? Oh, yeah...

Looking forward to having you at my blog on 2/2!! Please email me at helen@helenhardt.com so I'll have an email to send the questions to.

Have a great day!

Helen

Mary Ricksen said...

Wouldn't that be the best thing ever. Stranded with him. Oh gosh this looks good.

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Thank you everyone for leaving your comments.

Hugh Jackman seems to have won many a heart.

I loved Australia, can't wait until he acts in another movie. I will definatley be getting the DVD when it comes out. :)

Sussan Marz said...

Yay Suz! Don't have to put my in the draw as I already have your book :-)

Mon Wood said...

Hey Suz,

Pretty cool to find out your hubby is a pilot. Do you fly a lot?

I also think it's wonderful to read that the heroine saves the hero. Go, girl!

Hugh - no need for me to say anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-) Mon

Debra St. John said...

Hi Suzanne and Christina! Great interview. S - Your story sounds wonderful. Can't wait to read it!

Rachael Johns said...

Hey Suz and Christina - another fabo interview!!! It's so cool that you're already a bestseller on WRP. Must be a sign of things to come!
Rach!

Serena said...

Hi Suz,
Your story sounds great! Can't wait to read it.

Thanks for the interview, Christina.

Hugs
Serena

Me :) said...

sounds like a fantastic read Many congrats!

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Thank you for leaving a comment. The draw will take place next Thursday.

Also thank you for your support, it is wonderful.

Monique, we fly when we can. Once a month usually. I really don't like flying over mountains. I prefer to shoot along about 1.000 feet above the ocean where the white water licks the sand. 500feet is even better, a chance to spot dolphins, whales etc. I feel safer this way. lol

One of my stories has a pilot in it. He does it for a living, but the heroine also flys, she naturally rescues him. It's a nice story but in the process of editing a little. :)
It was called Airborne, and Forgotten Memories... who knows what title it will end up with. :)

Christina Phillips said...

Suz, that must be the most fantastic sensation, flying across the ocean so you can see the dolphins and whales! I'm jealous!!

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

It is actually. :) Next time I will take my camera and try and get some close up photographs of them.
I do have some of the coast of Port Macquarie I might at some stage post them on my web. (in my spare time) lol

The old saying the simple things in life are often the best. They are the best.

So enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Thank you for having me Christina. It has been lovely. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow a story of 'passion' in 'paradise.' This I must read if for no other reason then I was born and dragged up on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales. Suzanne I'm sure you were way too conservative to have read my name on a bathroom wall back then; as was I. ------ Best of luck Suzanne and Thank you.
(Thank you Christina) ------ Eric

Sandie Hudson said...

Suz & Christina, great interview. Congrats Suz on your #1 place. WOOHOO.

Sami Lee said...

Huge congrats on the bestseller list Suz. Hope you had some champers to celebrate

Cari Quinn said...

Terrific interview, ladies! I can't wait to read Passion in Paradise, and I'm wishing you lots of sales, Suzanne. :)

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

lol I finally got in.
I would like to announce the winner. It is Monique Wood. Monique, can you email me via the little yellow butterfly on my website.

Thank you. And thank you Christina for having me.

Also thank you to those people who took their time to stop by.

Suzanne :)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Great interview, thanks.

Loving the cover too.