Saturday, April 04, 2009

Forbidden Eternity - Skhye Moncrief








Please welcome my special guest this week, Skhye Moncrief, who is a multi-pubbed author with The Wild Rose Press.


Skhye, tell us a little about yourself!


I'm a Texan who believes men look best in kilts. Unfortunately, my husband disagrees. :( I'm formally educated in both geology and anthropology (bioarchaeology). I'm a stay-at-home mom who rides herd over my bossy & sassy 3-year old. Thank the stars for writing, or I'd lose my mind! And I blog about reference books

And please take a peek at my free read, VOW OF SUPERSTITION: DRAGON'S BLOOD


Hi, Christina! Thanks for having me over. I thought I'd let you take a peek at Cochise--FORBIDDEN ETERNITY'S hero...


Sorry. I, uh, forgot what I was talking about...
(Stop looking at pictures, Skhye!) Oh, wait. I remember!

Sometimes the forbidden proves the only cure. In present-day Scotland, a shape-shifting shaman and a Druid embrace the forbidden to safeguard history from renegade gods bent on sabotaging history by kidnapping the Goddess of Time. A woman Cochise despises is his only hope for a future. He has no choice except to swallow his pride and protect Druidess Mairi from a man who is blackmailing her into breaking time-travel Code by kidnapping her sister. But his presence tempts Mairi into risking her sister’s life in falling in love. A fairy hairball and a pack of Hell Hounds force the duo to hide on an astral plane where there is no resolution beyond facing their FORBIDDEN ETERNITY. You're invited to read the 1st chapter:



How did the idea for the plot come about?

FORBIDDEN ETERNITY was a story in my Time Guardian series. Cochise evolved from a secondary character in a group of Time-Guardian cadets protecting history in Scotland. He's a cadet himself. Although, he fancies himself quite capable. Wouldn't you if you looked that scrumptious? Anyhow, my first love has always been Native Americans--that's before bagpipes! FORBIDDEN ETERNITY is bagpipes, Native Americans, Scotland, fairies, shape shifting, and time travel.


I love sale stories (ok I am just nosy!!) so can you tell us about your road to publication - and your call story?

I had been writing over 5 years, had quit graduate school (bioarchaeology) to feed the writing-bug's ravenous appetite, when I found myself at home with my 1-yr old. Trying to sell a terribly cross-genre fantasy romance series just wasn't working for me. But I'm hard-headed and wouldn't just go with the general consensus on what the term "weird" defined. Oy! I decided to throw in the writing towel when another author (with my publisher) encouraged me to query The Wild Rose Press. I found my novel HE OF THE FIERY SWORD was one of the few stories the WRP dark paranormal editor contracted at the time. Things have picked up since with the Black Rose line. And, to make a long story short, I jumped up and down quite a bit, then went to work on two websites. http://www.timeguardians.com/ & http://www.skhyemoncrief.com/ My hair pulling ended. And I landed a stellar review. "Arthur is a masterpiece..." HE OF THE FIERY SWORD's King Arthur ~Diane Mason, The Romance Studio

We are all about the love here, so please share your fave books, movies, TV shows or current fantasy squeeze (it's all in the line of research!)

SCROLL UP. Okay, I'll spill my guts. I'm also smitten with Gerry Butler. And here's a sexy Welshman--Dafydd Emyr would make an incredible Time Guardian too...

Lastly on my list are the tough Viking types in THIRTEENTH WARRIOR. Since I could actually go on forever, let me see if I can be more specific. My favorite romance is Jennifer Roberson's LADY OF THE GLEN. Karen M. Moning's work is wonderful. And the world's been known to stop when I get ahold of a Dark Hunter novel. My all-time favorite hero is Christine Feehan's hero in MIND GAMES. I don't know why. We just meshed. (Lucky guy!) I have a deep appreciation for Jane Austen. Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth is perfection. And there is a soft spot in my heart for Ciaran Hinds. It must be because of JANE EYRE & PERSUASION. But in Anthropology Through Literature, I was a firm believer that even a wealthy man is victimized by the culture of his day. ;) Look at all those money-grubbing women out to marry him!


What are you working on now?

I'm working on a werewolf space opera. People usually reply "huh?" when I spout that subject. So, let's just say we're talking about psychic warfare and werewolves. The rest is top secret. I'm dying to write a dragon-hunter tale. But I must finish the space opera first. :( I just don't understand why life is torturing me!

How can readers keep up with your writing and books?

Visit:
http://timeguardians.com/
http://skhyemoncrief.com/
http://myspace.com/skhyemoncrief
http://blog.skhyemoncrief.com/

Thanks for having me here, Christina. ~Skhye

14 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Hi Skhye - I love the sound of a werewolf space opera. It sounds very different. I think a lot of people (women) are smitten with Gerry Butler.

Skhye said...

LOL, Shelley. Mr. Butler is quite possibly lusted over more than any man. ;) I was just commenting about my werewolf space opera on another blog, and someone mentioned she's read a mermaid space opera. That one's got me wondering! Thanks for stopping by.

Christina Phillips said...

GB doesn't quite do it for me - but I have to say, Jay Tavare is gorgeous!! I want to snuggle him *grin*

Emma Lai said...

Hello ladies. Congrats on the release Skhye. Can't wait to read it!

Beth Caudill said...

Forget the werewolf opera and write the dragon hunter. Dragons are always exciting. :)

Good luck.

Skhye said...

Thanks, Emma! And Beth, it's not that easy!!!

Glad I put you in the snuggling mood, Christina. ;)

Susan Macatee said...

Love your hero, Skhye! And a werewolf space opera sounds so cool!

Skhye said...

Thanks, Susan.

Mary Ricksen said...

Skhye, whatever you touch is just magic!

Skhye said...

Aw, Mary. You're too kind.

Helen Hardt said...

Hey ladies -- well, Christina already knows this ;), but count me in on the Gerard Butler bandwagon. And Jay Tavare, too. *sigh* Always good to see you, Skhye. Best of luck with the new release!

Helen

Cari Quinn said...

Skhye, I keep meaning to pick up one of your books. After this great interview, I'll definitely have to check them out! :)

Kaye Manro said...

Hi Skhye, sorry I'm here late. And how cool-- space opera sounds very different indeed!

As always, great interview, Christina!

Judith Leger said...

Hi Christine and Skhye! Yep, Beth has it right. Think Dragons!!! LOL! Hey, keep those wonderful books coming honey (both of you!). Love ya!