Friday, December 19, 2008

Outlaw in Petticoats - Paty Jager



Please welcome my special guest today, Western romance author Paty Jager, who writes for The Wild Rose Press. Outlaw in Petticoats is Paty's second book about the Halsey brothers.

Wife, mother, grandmother, and the one who cleans pens and delivers the hay; Paty Jager has not only brought her husband of twenty-nine years to maturity, but four children and over a hundred head of cattle and swine.


She began her writing career as a freelance reporter for local newspapers. Found RWA (Romance Writers of America) and after eight years of attending many conferences, workshops, and being a finalist in eight contests, she broke into the publishing industry with a new e-book and POD publisher, The Wild Rose Press. She credits the RWA organization for helping her work on her craft to become a published author and giving her the contacts necessary to build her career.


Two western romance historical books were published in 2006. Marshal in Petticoats and Gambling on an Angel. Her third romance novel, Perfectly Good Nanny, a contemporary western romance, won the 2008 EPPIE for Best Contemporary Romance. The second book of the Halsey brothers series, Outlaw in Petticoats, is available in e-book and will be in print November 7, 2008. All books may be purchased in both electronic and print formats at all e-book and print distributors. To learn more about Paty, her books, and to enter her website contest go to www.patyjager.com

Over to you, Paty!

My books can be purchased in e-book through The Wild Rose Press or any e-book outlet. If you are interested in a print book, you can purchase those through any book store or print book outlet by ordering it if it isn't on the shelf.


Can you tell us a little about your book ?

Outlaw in Petticoats is the second book in the Halsey Brother series. Zeke is the second oldest of the five brothers. He is smitten with a prickly school teacher and determined to help her overcome her dislike of miners, which she uses to keep him at a distance, even though he sees interest smoldering in her eyes. Maeve 's father left her and her mother hunting for gold and never came back. At least that's what she's believed all her life. Through unexpected circumstances, she and Zeke set out to find the truth behind her father's disappearance.

How did the idea for the plot come about?

The plot came about because I'd written the first book, Marshal in Petticoats, originally with the idea of writing a series. When it took a while for the book to sell, I changed my mind. then it sold and readers wanted more of the Halseys, and I'd left a dangler in the first book that many wanted resolved. So by using the dangler has a jumping off point, I started plotting, Outlaw in Petticoats.

I love sale stories (ok I am just nosy!!) so can you tell us about your road to publication - and your call story?

I've been a member of Romance Writers of America for ten years. I've finaled in many contests and have had loved it but, rejection letters from agents and editors over the years, finally three years ago, a critique partner said, "There's a new e-book publisher starting up. Send your Marshal story to them". So I did and I now have four books published at The Wild Rose Press and a fifth book is contracted and I should have a release date soon.

We are all about the love here, so please share your fave books, movies, TV shows or current fantasy squeeze (it's all in the line of research!)

My favorite books are LaVyrle Spencer's "Hummingbird", Patricia Rice's "Paper Tiger" Karyna DaRosa's "Dry Moon" Linda Lael Miller westerns, and Nora Robert's "Born in" trilogy. My favorite movies are: "Dirty Dancing","Hairspray", "Mulan", "EverAfter", Favortie TV shows: Dancing with the Stars, Cold Case, The Mentalist, CSI, American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance. And my current fantasy squeeze - the book I'm writing now, the hero is fashioned after football player Jason Taylor.


What are you working on now?

I just finished a contemporary western. The hero is a bare back bronc rider and the heroine is an ER nurse. They find a connection through their art and pasts. However it could be their pasts that destroys what they have found. And my WIP is 'hopefully' the first of a historical western series. I have a combustible relationship between a female Pinkerton agent and a U.S. Marshal who has left a trail of dead bodies because of an outlaw's crazy revenge.

How can readers keep up with your writing and books?

My website I have a blog: And I have facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Paty_Jager/1162542381 My contemporary western romance- "Perfectly Good Nanny" Won an EPPIE for Best Contemporary in 2008.

13 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Hi Paty and Christina - I'm going through a bit of a Western historical blitz at the moment. I'll have to check out your books. :)

Helen Hardt said...

Good morning to two of my favorite writer friends, Paty and Christina! Paty, it's great to see you here. As you know, I love contemporary and historical westerns. The Halsey series is wonderful!

Helen

Paty Jager said...

HI Shelley, I love to have you check out my books and let me know what you think.

Hi Helen! Thanks for stopping by!

Susan Macatee said...

Great interview, Paty and Christina!
The series sounds great, Paty! Best of luck with it.

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- I learned things about you I didn't know! Fun reading how the Marshall series got started, best of luck with "Outlaw." Christina, neat blog site, thanks for having Paty as a guest!!!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Paty. I love the title of your book! I can't wait to read it. Good luck with the contracts you have pending with Wild Rose!

Paty Jager said...

Hi Susan,

Thanks! The series and Halsey brothers have become very dear to my heart.

Hi Alice! Thanks for making it way over here and visiting!

HI Debra, I'm kind of fond of the title, too! ;) Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the book.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Paty and Christina!

Christina, so glad you have Paty as a guest!

Paty, I can't wait until your female Pinkerton books SELL so we can read them too. :)

Paty Jager said...

Hi Genene!

Thanks for stopping by. I've been working on the Pinkerton story all day! And maybe, just maybe, I'm making progress!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Great interview. I always enjoy learning other's creative process. I have your books in my TBR pile and as soon as I have time, I'll read them....lol.

Happy Holidays.

Anna Kathryn
www.aklanier.com

Paty Jager said...

Anna Kathryn, When DO you have time? You are the busiest person I know. Hope you enjoy the books when you get the time to read them.

Cari Quinn said...

Hi Paty and Christina! Great interview. :)

I'm just getting into historicals, so I'll have to give westerns a try. I love all kinds of stories, truthfully.

Best of luck, Paty!

Paty Jager said...

Hi Cari,

Once you read a western you'll be lassoed. LOL Thanks for stopping by!