Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Gladiator's Honour

I've just finished reading Michelle Styles's The Gladiator's Honour, her debut Mills and Boon Historical Romance, and wow. What a fantastic book. I absolutely loved the tortured Valens, cruelly sold into slavery and gladitorial combat, and really felt for him as he battled to win back his honour and family name. Julia Antonia, his Roman noblewoman heroine, is torn between loyalty to her father, and love for Valens. In ancient Rome a match between a patrician and slave is forbidden, and towards the end of this story I was completely choked up.

The Gladiator's Honour has received rave reviews, and yesterday won the Cataromance Historical Romance award - congratulations, Michelle! And who better to present the award than the divine Orlando Bloom?!

Michelle's next historical is A Noble Captive, and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Next on my tbr pile is Julie Cohen's debut M&B Modern Romance Extra - Featured Attraction - which also won the Cataromance award yesterday. I'm hoping to hide from the family tomorrow so I can finish it in one sitting!

6 comments:

Amanda Ashby said...

Hooray, I knew you'd love GH. It's amazing, isn't it! And Julie's book is equally brilliant (which pretty much means your family won't see you tomorrow!)

Michelle Styles said...

Thank you for that! I am SO pleased you enjoyed it.

Julie's book is lovely and best read when things are not bubbling away on the stove as one is apt to lose ones self.

Christina Phillips said...

You're very welcome, Michelle. I'm thrilled GH got the recognition it deserved!

Unfortunately couldn't sneak away yesterday, Amanda, but I'm doing quite well on the burning dinner front today as I've just started FA... hehe!

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoy my book and that it doesn't affect your dinner too much!

Christina Phillips said...

I loved your book, Julie, and it certainly took my mind off the burnt offerings on the table!

Sara Hantz said...

Ah, so now I know where you've been hiding......